IMPORTANT: I AM NOT
AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH
PINNACLE SYSTEMS, INC OR
NEITHER PINNACLE SYSTEMS NOR
HAUPPAUGE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DRIVER. PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER
THEM IF THIS DRIVER IS NOT WORKING FOR YOU.
This page contains an experimental Linux 2.4 driver for the Pinnacle
Bungee and the Hauppauge WinTV
PVR USB. The WinTV PVR USB is a video capture device attached to the USB bus.
The purpose is similar to the PCI version (WinTV PVR), but this driver is
for the USB version only. Follow this link
for a Linux driver for the PCI version. This device has also not much to
do with the plain WinTV USB, because the WinTV PVR USB contains a
MPEG2 encoder, which the simple WinTV USB does not contain.
The higher compression ratio of the WinTV PVR USB gives much better video
quality at higher resolutions than the WinTV USB.
Support for the Pinnacle Bungee is still incomplete.
this link for a more complete command-line tool for the Bungee.
UPDATE (10/4/2002): High resolution
capturing (full D1) works now with 6 MBit/s CBR. The driver makes the
current configuration available in /proc/pvrusb/videoX. The
firmware is not compiled into the driver any more. Instead it has to
be uploaded after inserting the module (instructions below):
- You need the WinTV PVR firmware ROM from Hauppauge
("HCWUSB.UPD.ROM" or "USB_MPEG2_POPNOISEFIX.ROM").
the files by installing the WinTV software on a Windows machine. The
do not contain any copyright notice, but for now I just assume Hauppauge
would not want me to distribute them and so I wont.
- You can upload the firmware into the driver after inserting the
dd if=USB_MPEG2_POPNOISEFIX.ROM of=/proc/pvrusb/firmware bs=256k
- To display information about the currently loaded firmware:
- The driver attaches itself to /dev/usb/lp0 (yes, the USB
printer special file). YES, this is stupid. I will change it soon.
- To save the MPEG2 stream try:
cat /dev/usb/lp0 > data.mpg
- To watch TV attach a signal to the composite input and use
- The tuner is not programmed yet. I will probably add tuner support soon.
- I have a WinTV with NTSC tuner. I cannot add PAL tuner support until I get access
to a PAL WinTV.
Last update: 10/1/2002